Equal Opportunity Cell
India is a land of diverse culture and heritage. For many centuries diverse cultures, religions and castes have co-existed together in the country. However, there has been a constant intolerance emanating from this diversity and we have failed to achieve complete harmony in all aspects of our lives. The prevalence of social inequality has created barriers and has denied access to materials, cultural and educational resources to the disadvantaged groups of the society. These groups have been segregated on the basis of language, ethnicity, class, caste, religion etc. This has resulted in a highly entrenched system of social stratification wherein hegemonic domination of the privileged groups has been detrimental to the development and progress of the exploited groups.
Aims and Objectives
To oversee the effective implementation of policies and programmes for disadvantaged groups, to provide guidance and counselling with respect to academic, financial, social and other matters and to enhance the diversity within the campus.
- To ensure equity and equal opportunity to the community at large in the college and bring about social inclusion.
- To enhance the diversity among the students, teaching and non-teaching staff population and at the same time eliminate the perception of discrimination.
- To create a socially congenial atmosphere for academic interaction and for the growth of healthy interpersonal relationships among the students coming from various social backgrounds.
- To make efforts to sensitize the academic community regarding the problems associated with social exclusion as well as aspirations of the marginalized communities.
- To help individuals or a group of students belonging to the disadvantaged section of society to contain the problems related to discrimination.
- To look into the grievances of the weaker section of society and suggest amicable solution to their problems.
- To disseminate the information related to schemes and programmes for the welfare of the socially weaker section as well as notifications/memoranda, office orders of the Government, or other related agencies/organizations issued from time to time.
- To prepare barrier free formalities/procedures for admission/ registration of students belonging to the disadvantaged groups of society.
- To establish coordination with the Government and other agencies/organizations to mobilize academic and financial resources to provide assistance to students of the disadvantaged groups.
- To organize periodic meetings to monitor the progress of different schemes. 28
- To adopt measures to ensure due share of utilization by SC/ST in admissions, recruitments (teaching and non-teaching posts) and to improve their performances.
- To sensitize the college on the problems of SC/ST and other disadvantaged groups.
|3||Uttam Kumar Maji|
Guidelines for Scheme of Equal Opportunity Centre for Colleges: https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/7894390_equal-opportunity-cell.pdf